Toby Ulrich (Age: 63)
I have suffered with bad hearing for over 35 years and have owned 6 types of hearing aids in that time. Three years ago I was referred to Medical Audiology Services and thanks to Dayse I was recommended a BAHA (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid). This has ABSOLUTELY changed my life. Now my hearing is WOW! Your Dayse is a gem and I highly recommend MAS!

Peter Dawson (Age: 67)
I have been with Medical Audiology Services for over 10 years. I have always found the staff to be most helpful.

Myra Constance Scott (Age: 83)
I cannot remember how long I have been with Medical Audiology Services but it has been a very long time. In 2005, after many years of erratic hearing, I become profoundly deaf. Consequently, in November 2005 I had a Cochlear Implant inserted behind my right ear. The implant worked wonderfully well when listening face to face with people! The service provided to me by the staff of MAS has been exceptional and Anne Gardner has been wonderful.

Cochlear Implantee Jenny Campbell

The day I was told I could receive a cochlear implant for my left ear I was excited, wasn’t this exactly what I had been hoping for? But being a glass half empty sort of person I wondered if it would work for me.

At home I went online to gather more information. The negative blogs worried me and that is when I decided to keep a record of my cochlear implant.

I’m no writer but I know if one of my children needed an implant this is what I would want them to read.

I’m a sixty seven year old deaf woman. I wore hearing aids in both ears.

Like some deaf people I could no longer work in my chosen field. I was a therapy assistant in a language development school, my days consisted of one on one articulation and social skills sessions with kindy, pre-primary and year one students.

The implant was pain free. I didn’t expect this. Remember I am a glass half empty type of person.

Three days after the implant I went into the city I felt unbalanced and became upset. What was I thinking going into the city? That was my darkest day.

Day 1

The first day I was switched on I heard a constant high pitched sound, unbelievable I was hearing from my left ear or should I say from the left side of my head.

Daisy spoke and I heard a digital voice among the constant high pitch noise. Daisy explained that my brain was now trying to make sense all the sounds coming in.

I understand how the brain could make new pathways. Part of my old job was to make this process easier for the students I worked with.

So with this knowledge I went home to start making my new hearing pathways.

Day 2

I heard “s” and “sh” sounds they are a bit slushy and I joke with my husband that I can fix this problem in children’s speech.

Taking my hearing aide out of my right ear to use the implant on it’s own I ask my husband Doug to speak slowly to me. Concentrating on listening I can hear some of his sentence, not the first few words and not the ones at the end but I manage to grab some of the words store and repeat them. Doug sounds digital but I’m hearing!

Day 3

That high pitch sound is still present but not as one sound. It is more like layers of sounds, a bit like a lasagna of forgotten sounds; the fridge turning on, the kettle, Doug’s thongs slapping the tiles as he walks. All these sounds together in a way I had forgotten.

Feeling a lot calmer now I start to name sounds out loud even when Doug speaks to me I say, “you said……..”

Doug reads a recipe to me with only the cochlear implant in I repeat the parts I can hear and we laugh at my mistakes.

I’m hearing “d” for “p” so I make lists of word pairs dan, pan I repeat most of them correctly but that is only because I remember them I’m not as good with Daisy’s word lists.

This becomes the pattern of my days, naming and repeating out loud the sounds that I hear each day. A walk after dark and hearing different frogs croaking in the garden and our footsteps becomes another lasagna of sounds to say and store

Going shopping on my own and hearing the young girl who gives no eye contact when she tells me the price I don’t ask her to repeat as I can hear her.

I’m fully switched on now and Daisy’s homework is more challenging but suddenly listening has become natural I don’t have to concentrate to hear.

One of the best parts of hearing is being able to hear my teenage granddaughter and having a conversation with her without having to ask my grandson what Teagan said.

Three weeks after being switched on.

Is my hearing normal? I don’t know the digital sound is becoming less and less.

Do I hear everything? No but who does.

Would I do it again? Yes.

I needed a lot of help from Doug he has a wonderful sense of humor and I needed that almost every day.

Dayse – my heartfelt thanks to you for looking after me and greatly assisting in turning the whole process into something that was understandable and a less threatening.

Improvements in my hearing are occurring daily and I can often hear without the right ear hearing aid in. Not great quality yet but definitely better than no hearing from the left ear. Thank you.

Sincere regards
Jenny Campbell

Back to Top